Can Bottled Water Grow Mould?
Mould is a foul-smelling and potentially dangerous fungus most commonly associated with porous materials like wood, plaster, grout and fabrics. Under the right conditions, though, mould can also grow on semi-porous and nonporous materials like glass, metal and also plastic. The speed at which mould grows on plastic depends on multiple factors.
Amount of Moisture
For mould to grow, moisture must present itself on the plastic surface. Since some plastics, like shower curtains, are semi-porous; while others, like food containers, are nonporous; not all plastics can grow mould as efficiently or as quickly. Because a semi-porous surface can trap moisture for long periods of time, while a nonporous surface cannot trap moisture, mould can grow much more easily with the former. For a nonporous surface to grow mould, it must have a consistent source of moisture, like a puddle of water left for an extended period of time.
Amount of Nutrients
Mould will also not grow on plastic unless it has a nutrient source. Since plastic does not provide natural nutrients, like cellulose, for mould spores, mould must rely on old food particles, dirt or soil to provide ample nutrients. For instance, it might grow inside a plastic container where a residue of rotting food remains, or inside a used plastic water bottle that has not been rinsed clean. The more soil and organic residue present, the faster mould can grow.
In summary, the more mould-baring contaminants water holds, the higher the possibility your opened bottled water will grow mould. The purer the water is to start with, the lower the chance – and keeping your water bottle clean will also go a long way. Try our premium purified water today, and forget this problem altogether.
PS – always drink opened bottled water within two weeks of opening!
h/t to hunker.com for the info!