Does Lemon In Water Help Lose Weight?
Lemon water is one of the very first detox water recipes created, and it seems to be everywhere you look on the Internet these days. Besides being really yummy with its sweet and tangy flavor, lemon juice has many health benefits associated with it.
What is Lemon Water?
Lemon water is simply the juice of a lemon mixed with water. It can be served hot or cold and is generally not sweetened, it all depends on your own personal preferences.
Benefits of Lemon Water
In addition to the many benefits of drinking water, like a faster metabolism, there are also specific benefits of drinking lemon water.
Lemons contain flavonoids, which are plant pigments that are known to have strong antioxidant properties. That means they help protect your cells from damage.
Lemons also contain important vitamins like Vitamin C and potassium. A diet rich in potassium can help lower your blood pressure, and studies have shown people who eat lots of potassium have up to a 27% lower risk of heart disease and strokes.
How Does Lemon Water Benefit Us?
According to The Lemon Juice Diet by Theresa Cheung: “The best way to lose weight and keep it off is to eliminate toxins from the body and keep your liver and digestive system healthy. In particular, poor digestion hinders weight loss by stopping the body getting the nutrients it needs to burn fat and by causing a build up of toxins in the bloodstream that slows down metabolism. That’s where lemon juice and peel comes to the rescue. Adding these ingredients to our diet will help to improve our digestive system and encourage our liver to function at its best.”
It is, however, wise to keep in mind that a balanced diet remains the cornerstone of reaching and maintaining one’s ideal weight.
Studies have shown that drinking water naturally boosts your metabolism, and drinking a glass of hot or warm lemon water in the morning has become a healthy daily habit for many people to assist with overall weight loss. Not only is it an effective diet water, it tastes wonderful, too. Drink the juice of one lemon in one cup of warm water first thing in the morning (on an empty stomach) to increase your lemon water weight loss levels.
Water is the key component of any detox diet plan, and a lemon water cleanse is a great way to ensure you drink lots of it. In addition to the healthy benefits of lemon cleansing water, the enzymes may help stimulate liver functions and aid in the elimination of wastes from your body. A lemon water cleanse will also suppress your appetite so you are more successful and have fewer cravings while on your lemon detox or cleansing plan.
In summary, lemon water helps in aiding weight loss by:
- It is a digestive aid and helps the body to eliminate toxins.
- A glass of lemon juice and water contains hardly any calories.
- It stimulates your immune system.
- Lemons have an alkalising effect on the body.
- Lemons are a great source of vitamin C which helps the body to build collagen and fight diseases like the common cold.
- They also contain significant amounts of potassium, phosphorus, calcium, magnesium and citric acid.
- Lemon juice prevents the growth of bacteria.
- It helps to eliminate uric acid, thereby reducing inflammation and pain in joints.
- Lemon juice helps to strengthen the liver.
- Although it is acidic it can help to relieve heartburn.
- It can help to prevent the formation of wrinkles and acne.
- Lemon juice can help prevent eye problems.
- It can also help the stomach produce digestive juices.